Be Ready This Time!



"If you get another chance, be ready this time."

Two years ago, I set out to hike with my daughter and her Girl Scout troop in the beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia.  Our destination was the top of Humpback Rock.  We were prepared.  With ample bottles of water, sandwiches, protein bars and oranges, we were ready. 
Correction, THEY were ready.  I was not.

I had done nothing to make myself ready other than purchase the perfect hiking outfit and show up.  While stylish, I was stopping the flow and draining the fun out of what was designed to be a wonderful experience.

Huffing, puffing and pushing my body well beyond its comfort zone, I became a hazard.  The scouts and other parent-chaperones continually reached out to steady and hoist me upward instead of focusing on the trail and their own ascent.  With narrow passages, uneven terrain, and sheer rock to climb, I stopped.  After much convincing, my daughter continued the hike with her troop.  Meanwhile, I sat my stylish and unprepared self on the side of the trail and waited.  As other hikers of all shapes, sizes, ages and ethnicities passed by, they offered assistance. 
They had prepared.  I had not.  They were ready.  I was not. 
Fast forward. 

Several days ago, I returned to the beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia.  Again, I set out to hike with my daughter and her Girl Scout troop.  This time, our destination was twofold:  the top of Crabtree Falls for the first hike and on the following day, the top of Spy Rock for the second hike.  With ample bottles of water, sandwiches, protein bars and oranges, we were prepared.  We were ready.  

No correction needed -- WE were prepared.  WE were ready. 

The many mini-walks taken with my daughter; encouragement from my family, Girl Scout family and friends; a healthier diet recommended by my Lil Sis; and a pre-diabetes class at the YMCA had prepared me.

Stylishly dressed, swaddled in grace and covered by prayer, I was prepared.

Talking, singing and pushing my body only slightly beyond its comfort zone, my epic failure faded into success.  I was "the we" who conquered Crabtree Falls and Spy Rock.  The accomplishment was everything I hoped it would be and more. 

Yes, two years ago, I experienced an epic fail.  Several days ago, I stood in the newness of life I now enjoy -- 20 pounds lighter, healthier and more physically fit.  Even better, I stood as a positive example of the power of prayer and perseverance before my daughter and her scout sisters.
Epic joy!  

On the exact day that I set out to hike with my daughter and our Girl Scout troop, a pastor-friend, who was unaware of my previous hiking experience, posted a message on his timeline that ministered to me.  The post said, "If you get another chance, be ready this time." 

This time, I was prepared.  This time, I was ready.  My prayer is that I stay ready.

Comments

Popular Posts