Happy May I -- Or Is It?


It's funny how something as little as a punctuation mark makes a big difference. "May I" looks like a specific date like May 1st.  However, with a question mark, it becomes, "May I?"  Such as, "May I truly find happiness in a triple-layer chocolate truffle cheese cake?"

Absolutely!
"May I" as a date, often ushers in explosions of colors.  From the brightness of flowers blooming; to the vibrant patterns of short-sleeve shirts; to the brilliance of kites and kayaks -- the earth laughs in color.

In contrast, the question, "May I?" requires some introspection.  It's like a prayer.  May I slow down to enjoy the multiple canvasses of colors around me?  May I better appreciate and embrace the beautifully diverse flesh tones of people who may not look like me? 

"May I" is both polite and powerful. 
It can build bridges and mend fences:
May I hold the door for you?  May I offer you a glass of water?  May I spend time with you to better understand your culture and traditions?  May I have the honor of displaying a flag in recognition of your loved one's service to our country?

With "May 1," there's definitely more to it than meets the eye.  "May I" can designate a moment or drive movement.  What will it be for you?  Choose you this day and punctuate wisely.

Comments

  1. It's hard to say "No'" to a request that begins with "May I?"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Then, "May I" say thank you for being one of the greatest motivators and encouragers I know. Thank you for reminding me that I am a writer with multiple messages to share.

      Delete
  2. “May I” say I absolutely ❤️ this!��
    The “May I” vs. “May 1” ‘thinkology!’ ��

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a young girl, I grew up under the game of Mother, May I. Mother, May I was a game played that required a direct answer from the person who was in the role of the Mother. The Mother would give an instruction and the Child, in order to respond to the instruction had to ask the Mother, May I? The mother had the right to reject whether to allow the child to advance or not to advance. This game had rules. In life there will be rules. We must always without a doubt ask May I.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I played this game as well, and what you shared, is true. The rules mattered then -- they matter now. May I say that common courtesy and respect never go out of style.

      Delete
  4. May I? causes you to slow down and be respectful. Beautiful post...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts