And Now, I Better Understand Roots and Wings




And just like that, my first-born daughter catapulted from kindergarten to a college graduate, in what now seems to be, "in the blink of an eye." With love, laughs, cheers, tears and fears, the years careened by quickly.

It seems like only yesterday that she wore her kindergarten graduation gown. Dressed in white, she stood as a beacon of hope and promise. After the ceremony, I held her tightly as her gown blew in the breeze.
I was a proud mama.

How quickly high school zoomed by. And now, there she stands in her college graduation gown. Blessed, brilliant and beautiful, she continues to stand as a beacon of hope and promise. She is a testament of GOD's grace and love.

And then, like fingernails scratching across a blackboard, my "mama-nerves" kick into gear.

As she is more than ready and wanting to move forward, I want to fling myself at her feet yelling, "Look out my 'Sweet Girl,' pay attention to the warning signs along the way. There are speed bumps and roadblocks to maneuver. Did I prepare you to handle 'falling rocks, high winds, black ice?' -- what about hair-pin curves and deer crossings?"  Fully flushed and in overdrive, I prepare to don my dunce cap as a "mama failure."

And then, she catches my eye and smiles.  
And then, I remember.

She already knows the warning signs. Best of all, she knows The One who created her path, established her purpose and is her guide.  She doesn't fully realize the wisdom and understanding she already possesses, but she knows to whom she belongs. She knows her Father, her "Daddy GOD."

It continues to be my privilege to watch my first-born daughter flow in her lane. She's not afraid to accelerate, change lanes or even, change direction. She knows to keep fueled-up and when to pull into a rest stop. She's never been one to simply keep up with the flow of traffic because others' purpose, journey and destination may differ from hers. Her steps are ordered. She knows her way back home whenever home is her desired destination.

And, as her college graduation gown blows in the breeze, I hold her tightly and then, I let her go.  

She catches my eye and smiles.
She remembers.
I am a proud mama. 

Comments

Popular Posts